March 27, 2020
Emerald Kalama’s first priority during this unprecedented global health emergency is to take all reasonable steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, with the goal of protecting our personnel, their families, and the people within our communities. This is a reflection of our core values, which prioritize safety and corporate responsibility.
This is an extremely challenging time for everyone, and we are very proud of how dedicated our team has been, rapidly implementing and adjusting to enhanced protocols to mitigate the risk of spreading illness and keep Emerald operating safely and responsibly. Emerald Kalama’s leadership team is very actively engaged in tracking the situation and communicating with employees and stakeholders regarding any new potential risks or recommendations.
We are aware that this is a very fluid situation that requires us to be prepared to react to changing conditions, so we are committed to being as proactive, flexible, and transparent as possible.
Emerald Kalama has Been Designated as an “Essential Business” in the Regions where We Operate
Recently, a number of countries and U.S. states have published memoranda, stating that the chemical industry is deemed “essential business.” This includes:
- The Netherlands National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism
(Nationaal Coördinator Terrorismebestrijding en Veiligheid, Ministerie van Justitie en Veiligheid)
- The United Kingdom Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- The United States Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, a branch of the Department of Homeland Security
- Executive orders or proclamations in the U.S. states where we operate
Many of the ingredients produced by Emerald Kalama are essential to manufacturers of end products that are highly critical during this time. They are used to produce foods, beverages, pharmaceuticals, hygiene supplies, and cleaning and sanitizing agents. Emerald Kalama has a responsibility to continue operating safely so that consumers can access these critical products.
Proactive COVID-19 Protocols that Emerald Kalama has Implemented
The following proactive measures have been in place for several weeks to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect our personnel, products, and communities.
- All Emerald Kalama personnel are prohibited from any business travel, both domestic and international. We are not participating at any in-person meetings or events.
- Any non-essential, non-Emerald personnel are prohibited from entering any of our locations.
- Anyone that displays symptoms of illness is also not permitted to enter our sites.
- Employees that have the possibility to work remotely, especially those that are part of at-risk populations, are encouraged to do so. Employees with symptoms of illness are required to stay home.
- Local teams are using hazard analysis protocols to identify potential risk areas and implement controls to reduce the hazard of contamination, such as increased sanitation. This step is in addition to following stringent, proactive hygiene standards in accordance with our ISO 9001:2015 and FSSC 22000 certifications.
- We are following all applicable recommendations from the World Health Organization, U.S. CDC, OSHA, UK NHS, NL RIVM, and other relevant authorities. This includes steps such as social distancing and the promotion of personal hygiene standards.